These bars are the new favorite dessert in my house! When I was making them I was planning to call them chocolate chip bars, but they taste so much like cookie dough that I had to revise the name. I saw it as a challenge to create something incredibly delicious without any white sugar or white flour and with only 1 tablespoon of oil. Success!!! I added 2 tablespoons extra chocolate chips because my family likes their desserts extra gooey and chocolatey, but they are just as wonderful without the extra chocolate. I know I will be making these again soon because they’re already almost gone! Yes, they are that good!
- 1/2 c soft, pitted dates (about 6 medjools) – if the dates are not soft, microwave them with 1/2 c water in 30 second intervals until softened, and drain.
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/3 c brown rice syrup
- 1 T maple syrup
- 2 T ground flaxseed mixed with 5 T water (let sit for about 5 minutes before using)
- 1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 T coconut oil, room temperature
- 3/4 c (+ 2 T optional) vegan chocolate chips, divided
Preheat oven to 375. Lightly grease an 8×8” pan. Puree the dates and the vanilla in a food processor. Add the brown rice syrup and maple syrup. Process until smooth. Scrape into a large bowl. It will be very sticky.
Add the prepared flaxseed and mix well.
Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix well. Stir in the coconut oil and mix well, making sure there are no lumps of oil. Stir in 1/2 c (+ 2 T) chocolate chips.
Scrape into prepared pan. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 c chocolate chips on top.
Bake 18 – 20 minutes. Let cool a bit to firm up. Cut into 16 bars.